Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Tuesday 13 April 2010

Welsh quilt types



Pepper wondered if there was a definite Rural Industries type Welsh quilt. Here I attach a photo of the RIB quilt (30's-ended 1939)that was shown to us at the Quilt Study day. Welsh quilts had previously been made, of course, according to how much the person wanted to spend - there were the common quilts and also the "better" quilts. But becauseof the prevailing poverty, prices were very low in Wales, hence standards were generally low. The RIB were marketing to wealthy people, especially in London via The Little Gallery and others, so the fabrics had to be of the highest quality and also the workmanship had to be very good. Some of the young girls had no previous experience but were trained in quilting. Other quilters submitted samples and were accepted into the scheme. So the designs were perfectly drawn on (no freehanding like in country quilts) and the quilts very symmetrical and rather formulaic.No individuality. One comment was that they were "souless" although I thought it rather lovely. A point made was, that the quilts were bought for good prices, but in an act of charity, these quilts were considered rather rustic and often, once bought, were not used but put away. Hence come to us in good condition. The quilt in the foreground in brown is the RIB quilt, I think the one in the back is the "Country" style quilt. I also attach a photo of a real country quilt which I love. Also a quilt of the same era (1930's) which Clare C. has identified as being by Margaret Williams or one of her students, it is in her characteristic style.

Pippa

3 comments:

  1. Hi Pippa,

    Love your new blog and will be following it with interest - I've added it to my blog's bloglist of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Pippa,
    I found you via Barbara Chainey. Will stay posted and watch with interest.
    Best Wishes
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting
    still very beautiful quilting.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete