Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Thursday 26 August 2010

Pink and Blue Paisley Quilt






This quilt is from the 1930's - and is made in a soft blue paisley on one side and a pink paisley on the other - typical of the 30's fad for pastel colours. It is one of the quilts that has gone across to France for Jane Rollasons Quilt Expo "In the Heart of the Vineyards". The quilt is reputed to have been given as a wedding gift but never used. It comes from the Dryslwyn, Llandeilo area of Carmarthenshire, South Wales, where it was part of a collection of quilts.

The quilt is all hand stitched but the designs are hard to see due to the patterned fabric. It has a central medallion with spiral infill, a corner leaf, church windows with spiral infill and corner fans with spiral infill and a simple twist. The edges are hand stitched. The wadding is carded wool, but thicker than some of the other quilts, so a very warm quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment