Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Monday 16 May 2011

Framed Black and Pink Durham Quilt

Here is the second of the three wholecloth quilts that I bought from Suzi McFarland in the early 90's. This is a frame quilt in pink and black. The thread is pink so the side with the pink centre and black border is the top side. This quilt measures 74 x 88 inches and from the feel of it, has wool as the wadding.




You can see the quilting motifs more easily on this side - there is a handsome medallion in the centre - a sunburst. In the corners are fleur de lys motifs, all with diamond infill. You can see that this quilt has been used and has a fade in one area. Ihe pink is an attractive peach or apricot that starts to look almost orange in some lights.



Another look at the corner motif, these are useful for being bold designs that cover the cloth well without too much work.





And in the border, a very handsome shell pattern. A quilt very much in the north country idiom even if it lacks the usual motifs. No provenance. The tops are put together by machine and the quilt has one line of machine stitching around the edge of the quilt.

2 comments:

  1. Another beautiful quilt. I just cannot get enough of them :-) Thank you so much for continuing to share your treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pippa...I love the boldness of the black and pink...thanks for sharing....

    Best Wishes
    Kay in Scotland

    ReplyDelete