Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Tuesday 10 May 2011

Pieced Flowers and Vegetables Quilts

I thought that you might like to see two of the quilts that I have made using Ruth McDowell's patterns. This one, Flower Garden, uses the patterns in "Pieced Flowers" which is one of my favourite books of all time. It was difficult to find suitable green fabrics - so many green fabrics look unnatural and rather ugly. I also had to stock up on gold and orange fabrics for the daylillies. A trip to Kisco in Leicester was a good source of unusual fabrics in fat quarters (ususally only small amounts are needed). I also enjoyed the freehand quilting with the coloured rayon threads. I did not use a binding but instead used a facing.



And here is my "Pieced Vegetable" quilt, with a blue background. There was a spate of stolen quilts at about this time - so the name of the quilt and my name as the maker are quilted into the border! The pumpkins and squash were good fun - just proves that almost any subject can be used as a colour study.

7 comments:

  1. Quite flamboyant....how big are they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these bright colorful quilts. I've always admired Ruth Mcdowell's work and your quilts turned out terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pippa, your quilting is amazing. I love the freehand lines and motifs, it works so well with the designs in the quilt. Oh to be so brave to quilt like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The veggies are my favourite of the two - there's not enough veg on quilts. As you say, they make an interesting colour study, just as interesting as flowers. Will we be seeing these at a show soon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, with Blogger being "down" I had to repost this piece - and the comments were lost so I repeat them from the emails here. Susan, these quilts were made in 2002 and went to Sandown that year, where they won a 2nd I think (still have never won a first prize but not bothered!)

    Fabric Fantastique wrote: Quite flamboyant - how big are they?

    The quilts measure 48 x 48 and 31 x 36 respectively.

    Robin wrote: Thanks for sharing these bright colorful quilts. I've always admired Ruth McDowell's work and your quilts turned out terrific!

    Sharon wrote: Pippa your quuilting is amazing. I love the freehand lines and motifs. It works so well with the designs in the quilt. Oh to be so brave to quilt like this!

    Sharon, it took quite a lot of practice to get to the point where I felt relaxed about the freehand quilting - but I do enjoy it now, as long as it is unmarked designs. A glass of wine sometimes helped to "let rip" - and after a half an hour of machine quilting, I stop as I get tired and start to make mistakes. The big thing is, it really opens your eyes up to what others are achieving at the quilt shows - and I do look out for clever but easy ideas for FMQ. Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  6. If they were at Sandown Park in 2002 it explains why they feel a bit familar - it's quite likely I took photos of them (pre digital days)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh Love your veggies - I have this book and have done the easier straight pieced veggies but would love to try those curved ones now I am a bit more experienced. Do you also have her book 'Piecing expanding the basics'? It is one on my shelf to work towards...

    ReplyDelete