Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Wednesday 10 August 2011

Red Print Welsh quilt

Here is a pretty wholecloth Welsh quilt in a red print fabric with roses. Both sides of the quilt are made in the same fabric - the colour is not a bright red, but a pinky red as a background, with floral sprays in yellow blue and pink. The quilting is good but not elaborate and the quilt dates from about 1900. No provenance but the quilt probably comes from South Wales.


The size is 83 x 93 inches, and the filling is carded wool. No fading to the quilt so it has been lightly used if at all.
The stitching is not very visible but does follow the traditional Welsh format of central medallion and borders. Here, you can see the central medallion - a pitwheel device (spoked circle).

The quilting is mostly crosshatching with some spirals.

Here, you can see a four lobed flower design...

Another view of the neat stitching. These quilts were ususally made by professional quilters.


The edges are neatly finished off by hand in the Welsh manner.

1 comment:

  1. It was good to see the 'Bell quilt' at the FOQ, looking impressive. All those contributions came together beautifully, after all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete