Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Saturday 10 September 2011

Brown and Pink Paisley Welsh Wholecloth Quilt

Here is a Welsh wholecloth in paisley fabrics. One side is mostly browns, while the other is a matching fabric in pinks.

The whole of the quilt has been quilted with a fan pattern - of course with this pattern (it being directional), you know that the quilt was loaded into the frame at one end (here on the bottom side of the photo) and the quilting proceeded towards the back of the quilt (on the top of this photo). Thus the sides of this photo were the sides of the quilt as it was in the frame.


This quilt was sold as a modern and non vintage item - however when it arrived it was apparent that it was an antique quilt. The fabric has a lovely softness and sheen that modern fabrics cannot reproduce.



Brown versus pink sides of the quilt.




The quilter did not have enough of the brown fabric and had to eke it out with some of the pink paisley fabric along one side.


I bought this quilt for only £15 - I felt guilty once I found out that it was an old quilt and offered to pay the seller more. She emailed back that she had bought it at a boot sale or charity shop for £7 and as it was her first EBay sale, she was satisfied with the amount. I steered her towards some web sites showing a variety of Welsh quilts so that she knew what to look out for in the Swansea area in the future!


This quilt measures 72 x 72 inches and is filled with wool wadding. It is from the Swansea area.

3 comments:

  1. I love pink and brown and your quilt has such a soft and lovely patina. Aren't you the ethical buyer to offer the seller more when you realized it was more valuable. I commend her for declining. Too often, ebay sellers are trying to claim quilts are more valuable than they really are. Good story with your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow what a lovely ebay story, it says so much about both buyer and seller. enjoy your addition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your story shows how mutual respect works...what a nice addition to the history of this lovely quilt. Wonderful texture!

    ReplyDelete