Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Monday 7 May 2012

Welsh Music CDs

I often listen to music while I am hand quilting or sewing on my machine. I have a small collection of Welsh music which is very pleasant to listen to, even if I am not a Welsh speaker (I cannot understand the words - but no matter...)


Of course Wales is renowned for its choirs, musicians and singers; one of the best known is Bryn Terfel - an absolutely wonderful voice. One CD is a collection of Welsh songs...


...while another features a young Welsh tenor, Rhys Meirion.


Harp music is very Welsh too - I remember, during our ecology field work in the Elan Valley in 1980, Pat Wiltshire pulling over to a scenic lay by and putting on a tape of Welsh harp music...this CD is a pleasant collection.


Another CD is this one of Gwenan Gibbard, an Eisteddfod winner who plays the harp and sings as well. Again, no idea what the songs are about but very cheerful to listen to. I had this and the above CDs on a player at Quilters Haven for my first exhibition of Welsh Quilts several years ago and it provided a nice background for the quilts.


Another favourite is this CD of John Taverner's music....

And my absolute favourite, the German countertenor Andreas Scholl singing English folk songs. I would love to go to one of his concerts.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the suggestions - will look into them.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like Welsh folk music (instrumental), check out folk band Crasdant and harpist Robin Huw Bowen as well. He plays the triple harp, the classic old Welsh harp that sounds so bright. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete