Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Sunday 3 June 2012

Diamond Jubilee Bellringing

Bellringing usually takes place for special events - in the past, we have rung for the Queen's Golden Jubilee, the Millennium, and lots of weddings. So ringing for the Diamond Jubilee was planned well in advance.

What is especially interesting, is that bellringing has had a prominent place in the national celebrations  today. There was a special ring of eight bells cast, that will be hung in St James Garlickhythe in the City of London. These bells and their frame were temporarily mounted on a barge for todays Thames Jubilee Pageant. A hand picked band of ringers rang a quarter peal while leading today's Royal Jubilee Flotilla on the Thames. See a video of last weeks tryout here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/the_queens_diamond_jubilee/9293191/Queens-Diamond-Jubilee-bell-ringers-rehearse-on-Thames-barge.html


Locally, Mike conducted a peal of Plain Bob Triples at Southwold yesterday. And today we rang two quarter peals...


At Pettistree we rang a quarter peal of Cambridge Surprise Minor, we then went to Ufford where we rang a quarter peal of Yorkshire Surprise Major. And tomorrow, Mike will be ringing in a peal at Sweffling.

I had fun watching the flotilla on TV - and am now back on track to finish the last quilting on "Piilani" my purple and white Hawaiian quilt which will be going into the Festival of Quilts. A good day!

1 comment:

  1. Saw the bells and wondered if you would be ringing out any peals this weekend. Let me know if you come to a church near me so I can come and listen.

    ReplyDelete