Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Friday 22 June 2012

Two Blogs to check out - Welsh Quilt alert!

I was interested to see Tia Curtis' blog post today - "Has a box of treasure ever turned up in your mailbox?"  Marjorie Horton sent Tia some lovely items including templates and photos - all to do with Welsh quilting. Tia does quilts "Welsh style" on her long arm quilting machine - with strikingly good results, as you can see in some of the older posts. Find the most recent post here:

http://tiacurtisquilts.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/has-box-of-treasure-ever-turned-up-in.html

Marjorie Horton has started a blog as well, which you can see here:

http://marjhtn.blogspot.com/

Although I read Marjorie's explanation of the larger and slightly crooked stitches she makes on cotton sateen, I'm not sure that I really understand it! I'm sure that the old time quilters just did their stuff and didn't have time to worry about the stitches too much - or perhaps the old fashioned sateen is different to the modern sateen? What do you think?

You can buy a copy of Marjorie Horton's book on Welsh quilt design from Jen Jones, the cost is £12 plus P & P, see here...

http://www.jen-jones.com/book.htm

I am hoping to visit Jen's most recent exhibition in  early July after I go to LLanidloes to deliver the quilts.

More posts tomorrow....

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the post, Pippa! It's great to see that Marjorie Horton has started a blog and I will follow it. I own her book for many years and use it a lot, it's a great support when I try to create a Welsh wholecloth design - I always seem to have less difficulties with the North Country style, I just don't know why.
    Regarding the cotton sateen I have made the same experience like Marjorie and that's the reason why I have never used sateen for my quilts. Of course it's a beautiful fabric and looks marvellous when quilted - but I don't like the look of quilting stitches almost disappearing in the weave of the fabric. I have tried to solve the problem like Marjorie, but I couldn't manage it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Pippa. Thanks for pointing out these blogs. I went to visit and read. Very interesting.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete