Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Saturday 14 July 2012

Olympic Torch arrives at St Mary-le-Tower, Ipswich

Last week, I missed seeing the Olympic torch as it arrived and left Ipswich, as we were busy in the ringing chamber, bell ringing and making a merry noise! So I was pleased to see Amanda Richmond with her Olympic torch at Monday's practice at St. Mary-le-Tower.

Amanda is a PE teacher at Stowupland high school, lives in Ipswich and is a past Master of the Suffolk Guild of Ringers. She also holds the distinction of being the oldest British woman to have climbed Mt Everest! Amanda was a torchbearer as the Olympic torch procession passed through Aldeburgh,Suffolk.

As you may know, the Olympic torches had to be purchased if you wanted to keep them! Here is Amanda with hers in the ringing chamber. In the background you can see a bellrope or two, and also the many peal boards lining the walls - these commemorate some of the more noteworthy peals rung here in the past. Ipswich had a very strong band, and some of the first peals in Surprise Royal were rung here.

No comments:

Post a Comment