Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Saturday 24 November 2012

Blue and Yellow Welsh Quilt

Here is a very nicely stitched Welsh quilt in royal blue and gold. The quilt came from a midWales farm estate sale in which most of the items dated from the 1920's.


The size of this quilt is 82 x 82 inches. The material is not cotton sateen; it is a fabric with a slight rib which I have seen in one or two of my other quilts (noteably the zany quilt from Aberythswyth) -  I do not know the name of this fabric. At Gawthorpe there was a silk outfit that was termed "silk grosgrain" that looked very similar but of course this fabric is not silk.


The centre is elegant with narrow leaves surrounding some large spirals. All surrounded by diamond infill.


The corners have a four lobed device and there are some simple leaves to be seen. Scales have been used as an infill.


A photo showing the ribbed effect of the fabric. The edge is neatly handsewn.



I especially like this "ram's horn" pattern which is not a common one but which is very elegant.



The corner fans are filled with a leaf or fern (almost looks like a feather?) The quilting is neat and as is usual was probably made by a local quilter or seamstress.  This quilt is in good condition and is not worn. This quilt is from a dealer that I have bought many quilts from. She does not sell as many now - either the supply is drying up or, it is less profitable to sell on that well known auction site??

No comments:

Post a Comment