Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Saturday 27 July 2013

A Visit to Whitechapel Bellfoundry

I visited the Whitechapel Bellfoundry while I was in London. Sophie and I had a lovely leisurely lunch at Caravan near Kings Cross. We had to be at the Tower of London for 3.15, so we did not have time to go to the British Museum as planned. I suggested that we stop into the bell foundry on our way to the tower...

The Whitechapel Bell Foundry is the oldest manufacturing company still trading in the UK - founded in the 1500's...and still in Whitechapel. I had often driven by the Georgian fronted building on the way into London but this is the first time that I have been inside...it may look quiet in this photo, but I waited for a gap in the traffic. It's actually on a very busy road!

Tours are available only on Saturdays when the foundry is not working - and as the tours are very popular,they quickly get booked up. This year's tours are booked for the rest of the year!

On the day that we visited, some of the new bells for Yoevil were being cast....and a delegation had arrived to see the hot bell metal being poured in the moulds. Of course, it takes many hours for the metal to cool sufficiently for the mould to be removed and the bell to be revealed.

We were allowed to peep into the workshop. You  may remember that I visited Taylors in Loughborough a few years ago, and posted photos on this blog. Taylors is a very large establishement - but Whitechapel is a much smaller site, given that it is in London. Hence looks more efficient and less Dickensian......


To the front are the new bells for Saxlingham Nethergate, which is to the south of Norwich....Of course I bought some souvenirs, like mugs and carrying bags, etc....then on the the Tower, not far to walk.....

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, pretty incredible to have been a viable business for so many years. I've never thought about who makes the bells, but there must be so much knowledge they need for a successful bell. Thanks for sharing your visit with us!

    ReplyDelete