Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Tuesday 16 July 2013

Ringing in Norfolk

We had an interesting day in Norfolk, ringing with Paul Norris and his band at Brook on their outing.

The first port of call was Berg Ampton, the tower next door to Brooke. This tower has six bells, some of which are very old. Its good for learners to ring other bells, as it teaches a lot about bell control. There are some good foot paths in the vicinity, a pity that it is such a long drive from our home in Suffolk!


The second port of call was Sirlingham, where there are some very ancient bells that have recently been rehung. They now go pretty well...a new ceiling and rope guide helps these small bells to go well.


Then back to Brooke, to ring a quarter peal of Doubles (several methods). These bells need working - and they are anticlockwise. Once you start ringing, however, you don't really notice that the bells are "back to front"...

Did you notice the difference in the last two towers? They are both round towers, a Norfolk speciality. We have a few in Suffolk, but most are found in the county of Norfolk.

No comments:

Post a Comment