Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Friday 23 May 2014

Cumbrian Strippy Quilt

Here is a quilt that I was interested in on Ebay....but the bidding went too high for me! I was interested in it because I do not have a good example of a wave quilted quilt....this all over quilting pattern was commonly found in Cumbria, Ireland and the Isle of Man. So, I was surprised to get a "second chance" offer later. This is when the top bidder has failed to complete or pay.... I looked at my bank balance and said "yes".


You can see that this is an older style strippy quilt. The panels are hand stitched and the quilting is nicely and neatly done, with small stitches. The edges are neatly hand stitched as well, in fact there is no machine stitching to be seen on this quilt except for the later addition which I am unpicking, see below..............this makes me think that it is an older quilt.

The quilt is well used,the edges are a bit worn and the outer blue fabrics are different to the central blue fabrics, which seem a bit faded.......


The other fabric is a dark floral print.... 
This quilt is very large,it measures 86" x 90" before the unpicking, which would add a few inches to the length. The filling is wool.


This quilt was bought at auction at Broughton in Furness about 35 years ago by the seller, so appears to be a true Cumbrian quilt. I am pleased, as a young couple and then young family, we spent much time in the southern Lakes, as my then parents-in-law owned a second house in Crossthwaite. 

The previous owner used the quilt as a wall hanging, and put in a hem at one end and a curtain fitting at the other - both will have to be unpicked in my spare time.

5 comments:

  1. Oh this is fantastic. Thanks for the really good pictures - I loved the close up detail in the quilting. You're not kidding - neatly, tiny stitches. It's so charming. I'm glad it's under your roof now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely! I haven't had the courage to buy any textiles on ebay yet. So well done. I did see some lovely examples of quilted costume and a couple of quilts at the recent Quilt Study Day at Preston Museum. The tutor Isabel had a very pretty example of a strippy welsh quilt, beautifully quilted. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great to get a second chance to have something so beautiful. I have learned a lot from reading your various posts and glad I found your blog. Am going to join your merry band of followers! xCathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are strippies quilted in waves unusual? I don't recall seeing one before. Most of the strippies I've seen either have all over patterns (the Welsh ones) or patterns that suggest they were mounted on the frame with the strips going parallel to the front and back i.e. the cables,feathers etc. run along the strips. This one looks like the strips ran at right angles to the rails. A great addition to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, had not considered that angle...not even sure how prevalent this quilting pattern was.....just know that it is a pointer that the quilt was made in those areas...

    ReplyDelete