Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Monday 18 August 2014

Pink Durham Quilt


Here is a Durham quilt with very nice quilting patterns. A large quilt, this one measures 76 x 91 inches. It is in very good condition; the seller was from West Rainton, which is near Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and said that this quilt came from a house clearance. The owner of the house had been a lecturer at either Durham or Newcastle Universty.



The patterns are very well stitched and the quilt is in good condition....there is an inner field with paired feather plumes,separated by a border with a twist, then an outer border with stouter feathers and a final narrow border with twist.


Daisies are found in each corner...


The edges are neatly sewn...all in all a well made quilt.


This quilt reminded me of another quilt, the one made by a WI group in Sunderland or Washington in the late 40's......again, we see pairs or feather plumes, but with a flower at the junction.

1 comment:

  1. How beautiful. A real treasure. I am visiting Bolton Museum stores today with BQSG to view the Bolton Caddow coverlets, amongst other textile goodies!

    ReplyDelete