Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Sunday 20 March 2016

Shirting Quilt from Carnforth, Cumbria


A recent arrival....a utility quilt made in 1912 with a variety of shirting fabrics. The fabrics are reused and wonderfully soft. Many of the patches are cleverly pieced from smaller fragments of clothes....a variety of colours and patterns are seen.


The quilt has no wadding but is quilted in white thread.


The centre is a large nine patch....


The backing is recycled flour sacks. The sewing is a mixture of hand sewing and machine, with most of the piecing being done by machine.





Here you can see the clamshell quilting pattern, which I think must be a Borders pattern as it is also seen in the Hawick quilts. There is also a simple twist near the edge.


More patterns, checks and stripes....





This quilt came from Thwaite Gate Farm in Carnforth and had been passed down in the family. Great Grandfather was named William Henry Stephenson. I just love the connection with the Lake District!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, it looks so soft. I'm glad it's arrived at a home that will truly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful. Thanks for showing the quilt and all the closeups.

    ReplyDelete