Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Thursday 14 April 2016

Pink and Yellow Stamped Quilt from Sunderland

This is a "stamped" quilt, that is, it was professionally marked, probably by an Allendale quilt designer.
This quilt comes from Sunderland, which seems to have been a hotbed of quilting. When the Allendale tin mines failed, many families moved to coastal towns such as Sunderland to take up jobs in the dockyards. Thus many Quilters must have made the journey. Church quilting groups seem to have been particularly important in Sunderland.


The light pink side is the top side, and faint traces of blue pencil are still to be seen. The reverse is light yellow.


This quilt must have been kept for "best"...it has a central rose surrounded by eight flat ironpetals, surrounded by fern and more roses. 


A swag border is topped by small roses and feathers.


The corner treatment echoes the centre, with feathers and curlicues.


The edges have a double line of machine sewing.


This quilt measures 76 x 92 inches.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely quilt. The pattern is so lively and cheerful. I enjoyed the little history lesson about Sunderland too. I'm so glad some women could create beauty in such difficult circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! Thanks again for posting these photos. I am quilting my own wholecloth and it's really helpful to study the patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This style of patterns are my favourite! They are all so similar but all so different and there are so many variations in the designs - this one looks really lovely.

    ReplyDelete