Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Saturday 3 December 2016

A "Devon" Quilt

Here is a patchwork quilt which was bought from a Devon seller. It had been bought at auction, so has no provenance. There were two quilts, and this one was in better shape, although there is some tendering (damage) to be seen.


The centre is a square of glazed chintz in a fern pattern from the 1840's - evidently, a better fabric that had been saved by the maker. There are others chintz fabrics to be seen.....the rest of the fabrics are "workaday " fabrics from the third quarter of the 1800's.


Mourning fabrics and pinks are seen......


More fabrics...


The chocolate fabric with roses is also 1840's....


The quilting is fairly basic, with straight lines and also clam shells to be seen.


Another 1840's fabric is this leaf pattern. This quilt is delicate and I would not wash it. The other quilt offered for sale was dirtier,  and the buyer washed it....it came up much cleaner, but the red backing of that quilt ran terribly, and even with colour catchers, the colour did bleed onto the front of the quilt a bit. Well....I'm leaving this quilt alone!

A simple patchwork frame pattern that is very attractive...

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely quilt. I have strong Devon roots so anything with Devon in the title attracts me like a lure!

    What a shame the backing ran so on the other quilt - Turkey Red would it be? I have an early Welsh blanket here which had a red binding and that too has run when someone washed it in the past.

    ReplyDelete