Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Wednesday 28 December 2016

North Country Cot Quilt in Blue and White

Here is a North Country cot quilt with a variety of quilting patterns. This little quilt is in reasonably good shape, unlike many cot quilts which have seen hard use.


The fabrics are a fine cotton in a faded blue/green and white reverse. The size is 26 x 38" or about the width of the fabric that was common in those days. The seller, from York, dated this as late 1800's but of course it is hard to tell. The edges are hand sewn.


The quilting patterns are interesting - it is somewhat difficult to design a cot quilt, as not much space is available. In the centre is a rose, surrounded by paired curved feathers, with a nice centre vein. There are corner feathers spouting from pots. There are also smaller leaves at the midpoints. The border is a north country twist with corner roses. The quilting is fine with some close quilting, especially on the feathers.


I am currently tracing the designs from this little quilt. I was asked to write up a hand quilting project - given the short amount of time available, it was not possible to make a new item, so  I suggested this little quilt. I just hope that all the writing and other work is completed by the deadline!

No comments:

Post a Comment