Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Tuesday 7 February 2017

Lemon Yellow Durham from Rowlands Gill

I was surprised when this quilt arrived - it was much nicer than expected. The photos on that well-known auction site had been poor. But what did I have to loose when the price was only £14?
 I decided to have a "go".


To say that I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement! The quilt is an attractive lemon yellow colour and seems hardly used - very "fresh". This is unusual, as most quilts have been well used unless considered very special. Perhaps it was considered "old fashioned" and put away?


The fabric is cotton sateen and the edges have been neatly machine sewn. The quilt measures 80 x 94 inches and seems to be a nicer "club" quilt. The seller was from Rowands Gill, a former mining town outside Newcastle.

The centre of the quilt features a large star filled with flowers and fern. This is surrounded by large feather motifs.


The border is a chevron and flower design.


The centre of the quilt.


The neatly sewn edge.


The quilting stitches on this quilt are small and neat.


The colour does not show up well here, but is a bright lemon yellow - I tried to improve the colour but wasn't able to with my apps.

About twenty-five years ago, the seller was given three quilts from a friend's house clearance - the other two were white - this one was the nicest, and was used on the spare bed. Eventually, the grandson wanted Spiderman and other more manly decorations and the quilt was sold.

I am enjoying this unexpected treat.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful find and such a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely quilt and an unusual layout, I like the centre design. A real find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lucky you! Such beautiful quilting.

    ReplyDelete