Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Thursday 3 August 2017

Quilt Museum, Lampeter - As Good as It Gets

This year's exhibition was As Good As It Gets, centred on the Rural Industries Board initiative, to alleviate poverty in the Depression years of the 20s and 30s. Clair Claridge was able to provide contacts and information about known RIB quilters, with some of the quilts being loaned by relatives.
Other quilts were made at the same time and give a flavour of that era. The twenties quilts are a bit quieter, whilst the 30s quilts can be rather showy.
 

Of course I was very interested to see three Margaret Williams quilts, as I have a quilt which Clair identified as being one of her designs (made by her or one of her students).


I will show photos here, but will encourage you to buy your own catalog by emailing Jen via her website.














After looking at the exhibition, we went to the deli next door for a lovely lunch. Recommended!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Pippa to share this beautiful exhibition of quilts so wonderfully
    quilted. In Nantes in spring I saw the old quilts of Jen Jones it was fabulous. The colors were so intense my pictures are beautiful but the reality was something else. Friendship

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this. thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete