Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Sunday 5 November 2017

Various

Early in October, on the spur of the moment, I went to a workshop by Philippa Naylor, as there were some spare places remaining. The topic was trapunto and cording, with FMQ experience needed. I once had some dissolving thread - but could I find it - no - luckily Philippa had some for sale.
 

Philippa with one of her prize winning quilts. Her attention to detail is amazing, and I think not many would be able to put so much effort into their work. I was interested to see that all her seams are pressed open...

 
...And that she uses polyester thread exclusively. Coming from a background in design and clothing manufacture, she likes the fact that polyester thread is elastic and nestles into the fabric and wadding better than cotton. She feels that cotton is not as strong. Quite a breath of fresh air after those who would "pooh pooh" the use of polyester threads.


I also have acquired a Treen (wooden) thread holder. It is very useful for quilting thread. I have no idea of the age of this....but a nice item.

 
I was also interested to see this photo of an exhibition of Hawaiian quilts in Japan. If you look at the red and white quilt  on the right behind the  ladies, you can see that it is the pattern that I am currently working on!

I have completed the applique on the outer lei, and the two outer edges of the middle lei - I am now working the inner spaces there. So, getting along well. (I still have my monster green and white top to quilt.....it will be tricky to handle as it is so large.....)

1 comment:

  1. I would think that most quilts that are longarm quilted are done with poly threads now. So Fine seems to be the most popular thread for these machines.

    ReplyDelete